Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Homework 2: Curves and Math

Part 1

So I have had this homework half done since Friday and I am only now getting back to it. You know, about a hour and 15 minutes before it’s due. This got me thinking about my procrastination and if I could predict my future level of procrastination. So the question is: is my habit only going to get worst over the semester or will it bottom out? Will the curve look more like an exponential curve or an s-curve? I usually procrastinate up to a point, but stop before catastrophic failure ensues. I will let things slip until that moment when I go, "Wo, that isn't going to have the best effect on my GPA." But that moment doesn't stop me from procrastinating. (I don't think anything could do that.) Instead, it just levels off right under my acceptable level of productivity. With all this in mind, I have decided that my procrastination for this semester, and likely the rest of my life, will look very much like an s-curve.

But what does the curve look like for everyone else? I did a little digging and found an article about the average GPA for levels of procrastination.

Severe 2.9
Moderate 3.4
Low 3.6

http://researchnews.osu.edu/archive/procrast.htm

My GPA would be a 4.0 if it were not for that B in Cal-II (which was not caused by procrastination). So instead it is a 3.95. What does this mean? I have very high standards for myself or just that I'm really good at procrastination?? If I continue to get lots of practice with this skill will my GPA continue to remain awesome while my level of procrastination increases exponentially? We could use the exponential curse to express such an occurrence, however unlikely it is to occur.

Part 2

I'm not sure what is the best way to express this so I'm just going to give the different parts of part 2 letters and place the corresponding answers next to them.

A. ~ 12 years
B. ~ 41%
C. ~ 57%
D. ~ 35 years

No comments:

Post a Comment